2 seconds is 2 long…to turn your back on a child in water.
The Fort Worth Drowning Prevention Coalition was formed in late summer 2012 in an effort to address our community’s staggering statistics:
- In the summer of 2016, the equivalent of five classrooms of children did not return to school in Texas because of fatal drowning
- Tarrant County consistently ranks in the top 3 counties in Texas for total and per capita pediatric drowning deaths
- Drowning is the leading cause of accidental death for children under the age of 5 y.o.
- For adults, drowning is the 5th leading cause of accidental death
- For every fatal drowning, another five patients will receive emergency room treatment for nonfatal drowning. More than 50% of these patients will require long-term care.
- 70% of African Americans, 60% of Latinos and 40% of Caucasians have low or no swimming ability.
100% of drownings are preventable and you can help: